In the last decade, the economy of the French Languedoc Roussillon région has experienced a general increase.
However, it is still dynamic and relies on several sectors:
- Public services
- Health system, with high technology hospitals.
- Education system, with several renowned universities, and more than 60 000 students.
- Services to individuals
- Tourism: it indeed welcomes a great number of tourist every year, it is the second region of secondary homes.
- Industry and trading, but slightly less important than the previous sectors.
- Wine-growing: Languedoc-Roussillon vineyard is the largest and the oldest in the world, it is obviously renowned world wide for its quality.
Nevertheless some branches of the region's economy (such as industry, property building or tourism) have had problems with providing new jobs or even with keeping pre-existing employment.But on the whole, the general economic trend of the Languedoc Roussillon region is quite similar to the economic situation of France.
Languedoc Roussillon has an unemployment rate of 10.4%.
This region also offers financial and physical support for people in need such as elderly people, disabled people, unemployed people...